Milling parts that are longer than the working area of my milling machine

« Older   Newer »

1.     Like  

Group

Status
    If I want to mill out a part that is longer than the working area of my mill, I define two or more separate milling paths, each of which contains two corresponding locating holes, so that the extra-long workpiece can then be moved to the left after each part path and aligned with the locating holes and locating pins so that the further part in each case can be milled on with an accurate fit.

To achieve this, I use a Along Vector Path because the Profiling Toolpath only allows closed drawings. I have not found a way to specify bridges or the Concave Corner Overcut in Along Vector Path. So I have a suggestion for a future feature. Either bridges and the Concave Corner Overcut will be allowed for Along Vector Paths as well, or there could be a special function for splitting the Profiling Toolpath into several subpaths, where you can specify the location of the fitting holes. The latter would be the silver bullet in my view.

Finally, a question: Has anyone perhaps found a better way to mill out overlong parts with DevCad without splitting them into separate parts that you then have to glue together?

2.     Like  

Guru

Group
    Administrator

Status
    The Concave Corner Overcut in Along Vector Path cannot be applied, as a vector path has no internal and external parts.
    In the Cad Main Menu you can see the "Draw - Points - Divide" and "Draw - Points - Measure" to apply points along a vector.

3.     Like  

Group

Status
    Unfortunately, I have no idea how these functions could help me to solve my problem. Do you have any additional advice?

4.     Like  

Guru

Group
    Administrator

Status
    CITAZIONE (sierra_uniform @ 4/5/2023, 11:00) 
    Unfortunately, I have no idea how these functions could help me to solve my problem. Do you have any additional advice?

See the help file of those features.
    You can add points along the lines, then you must split the lines there.
    I don't have a simple solution for your case, as it involves a lot of issues

3 replies since 29/4/2023, 12:35   208 views