Spar/lightening cutouts in foam panel, kerf calculation

« Older   Newer »

1. Haegar

Group

Status
    Hi all, currently I am preparing for own hot wire cutting jobs including software evaluation. When playing around with ProfiliPro (just simulation for now, no hardware experience) I got stuck with three issues:

1. ProfiliPro offers cutouts for full height spar slots, which is good and common practise in particular on the panel bottom side when it comes to vacuum bagging of thin glider wings. However, I cannot define a spar slot being deeper than roughly 50% of the panel thickness. More precise: I can insert higher numbers, but the cutout as shown on the screen will not increase in depth beyond said 50%. Ideally, the cutout depth should be close to the panel thickness while just leaving a thin connection between front and back portion. Is there a workaround?

2. When watching the 3D cutting simulation I noticed a fixed order of cuts: first some sort of foam block trimming (?), second spar/lightening cutouts, and then third cutting the profile. Cutting the spar/lightening cutouts is accompanied by some significant vertical wire movement, which looks in the simulation as to intersect the top foam block portion. It looks as if there will be no top negative foam mold remaining after the panel is finally cut to profile, since the upper block portion will be cut into pieces. How is the procedure, in case I want and need such remaining one piece negative foam mold?

3. It is not quite clear to me how the cutting kerf is calculated. One has to insert two values: One for wire diameter plus another for some sort of additional melting thickness. What does this mean in detail? Let's say for example I use a 0.4mm wire and have measured an actual total kerf thickness of 1.0mm. What values do I have to insert? Is it 0.4mm for the wire plus 0.6mm for the additional melting? Or is it 0.4mm for the wire plus 0.3mm melting both on top and bottom of the wire, to finally come to the measured total of 1.0mm?

Thanks in advance,
    Stefan

6 replies since 20/5/2014, 14:08   360 views