Spar/lightening cutouts in foam panel, kerf calculation

« Older   Newer »

1.     Like  

Group

Status
    Hi all, currently I am preparing for own hot wire cutting jobs including software evaluation. When playing around with ProfiliPro (just simulation for now, no hardware experience) I got stuck with three issues:

1. ProfiliPro offers cutouts for full height spar slots, which is good and common practise in particular on the panel bottom side when it comes to vacuum bagging of thin glider wings. However, I cannot define a spar slot being deeper than roughly 50% of the panel thickness. More precise: I can insert higher numbers, but the cutout as shown on the screen will not increase in depth beyond said 50%. Ideally, the cutout depth should be close to the panel thickness while just leaving a thin connection between front and back portion. Is there a workaround?

2. When watching the 3D cutting simulation I noticed a fixed order of cuts: first some sort of foam block trimming (?), second spar/lightening cutouts, and then third cutting the profile. Cutting the spar/lightening cutouts is accompanied by some significant vertical wire movement, which looks in the simulation as to intersect the top foam block portion. It looks as if there will be no top negative foam mold remaining after the panel is finally cut to profile, since the upper block portion will be cut into pieces. How is the procedure, in case I want and need such remaining one piece negative foam mold?

3. It is not quite clear to me how the cutting kerf is calculated. One has to insert two values: One for wire diameter plus another for some sort of additional melting thickness. What does this mean in detail? Let's say for example I use a 0.4mm wire and have measured an actual total kerf thickness of 1.0mm. What values do I have to insert? Is it 0.4mm for the wire plus 0.6mm for the additional melting? Or is it 0.4mm for the wire plus 0.3mm melting both on top and bottom of the wire, to finally come to the measured total of 1.0mm?

Thanks in advance,
    Stefan

2.     Like  

Guru

Group
    Administrator

Status
    I assume you are speaking of hot wire CNC foam cutting here.

1) Profili Pro can only cut well NOT full size spars with hot wire CNC. You can cut full size spar at a later stage, if you like with just 2 manual vertica cuts

2) What you see is probably the out of wing panel movement to keep the cutting synchronized. Understanding it and why it happens need some knowledge about foam curring cnc strategy

3) For CNC foam cutting the wire diameter is not important, but only the root and tip kerfs. These can be different for high tapered wings.

3.     Like  

Group

Status
    QUOTE (duroneee @ 20/5/2014, 18:19) 
    I assume you are speaking of hot wire CNC foam cutting here.

Yes.

1) Profili Pro can only cut well NOT full size spars with hot wire CNC. You can cut full size spar at a later stage, if you like with just 2 manual vertica cuts

Understood, thank you. Not happy with this, but it's okay for an add on the the "swiss knife multitool" ProfiliPro.

When it comes to more professional software, you mentioned somewhere that some sort of "DevWingFoam" is under development. Any release date in sight? I'd like to know this before considering to procure software from other suppliers. I generally like your software and would prefer to stick to the DevXXX series. I'm not yet in a rush and can wait for a couple of month. Any idea?

2) What you see is probably the out of wing panel movement to keep the cutting synchronized. Understanding it and why it happens need some knowledge about foam curring cnc strategy

I'll have a closer look at it.

3) For CNC foam cutting the wire diameter is not important, but only the root and tip kerfs. These can be different for high tapered wings.

Thank you. Is a bit confusing that the user is required to insert a wire diameter value, although obviously not used. But is understood and can be handled.

Anyhow, thank you for your quick response.

Stefan

4.     Like  

Guru

Group
    Administrator

Status
    Still no date for devWing Foam, but for sure not during 2014 as in my development plan I have other 3 applications before:
    devWing Mold and new foam cutting applications for cnc with a fith (real or simulated) rotary axe.

You watched to the old dialog where are included the settings for manual hot wire cutting (using templates). The page of the wizard referring to the kerf doesn't include that (or may be you are using an older release of Profili Pro, the actual is 2.30b)

5.     Like  

Group

Status

Still struggeling with profilipro cnc strategy. This is what I meant, shown by a simple cnc cutting path simulation (for explanation only). I progammed a rectangular foam panel, constant profile, simple spar cutout and simple lightening hole to show what I mean.

ProfiliPro prescribes to first cut the spar and lightening cutouts. According to the simulation, the hot wire will be immersed into the foam block from the top along a vertical path:

f7tf3nel

Then, as a second step, the profiled wing panel is cut:

szniceyz

For me it looks, as if there will be no usable top foam negative mold remaining. The top foam negative mold will be cut into three pieces. Is this intended? How is the procedure, in case I want and need such remaining one piece negative foam mold? Any workaround?

Stefan

6.     Like  

Guru

Group
    Administrator

Status
    As a trick you can make the cut in 2 jobs.
    1) you cut only the top airfoil shape (to that you make a copy of your project, remove the inner components and stop the cut when you reach the nose). You remove now the upper part and keep it apart.

2) Now you apply the full original cut

When devWing Foam will be available it will perform more cutting strategies, but actually I don't have a release date for it

7.     Like  

Group

Status
    Thank you!
    Stefan

6 replies since 20/5/2014, 14:08   360 views