High Sweep, high taper wings.

How to cut delta wings with large taper ratio

« Older   Newer »

1. Bigjohn

User deleted

I am trying to figure out if there is a way to force my 4-axis CNC cutter to cut this wing. The horizontal axis has about 26 inches of travel and the wire is about 60" long. :

F-16XL double delta wing. The tip panel is obvious and simple to cut. The root panel has a very high sweep and taper.

f16147

I have attached an image of the paper plans for this file. For the inboard panel: The root chord is about 41". The tip chord is about 14" and the span of the panel is only about 11".

If this panel had a highly swept trailing edge, I could cut the panel by using the feature "Rotate the panel to align the trailing edge". However, it is the leading edge that is highly swept and the trailing edge is almost straight.

If there was a way to rotate the panel to align the leading edge with the cutting wire, I believe my CNC machine could do this job.

Would it be possible to "trick" Profili into doing what I want by reversing the airfoil coordinates (entering the coordinates in reverse order) and the sweep so it "thinks" the leading edge is the trailing edge?

Any other advice into doing this? I know that using templates and a hand bow may be the option, but I have enough interest in folks buying these parts that setting up the machine to do it would be nice.

Thanks

2.     Like  

Guru

Group
    Administrator

Status
    Aligning the LE will dealign the TE, so I think this is not the right solution.
    That is a very challenging wing plan for a 4 axis foam cutter. I think you need a machine with the carriage distance adjustable, so that you can set it just a little larger than the panel length.

3. Bigjohn

User deleted

I have the machine table set up so I can move them in for about 30" wire length. I could move them closer if there was a solution. Part of the problem is the root rib is 41" long. It may be time to just go with good old hand cutting.

4.     Like  

Guru

Group
    Administrator

Status
    You can also consider to use the manual fixed point way, if your CNC cannot manage that size

5. Bigjohn

User deleted

You mean hand-held wire bow? Yes, it is looking like that.

6.     Like  

Guru

Group
    Administrator

Status
    No, fixed point cutting, good for triangular wing plans

7. Bigjohn

User deleted

OK, That would be good if the airfoil was constant. However, the airfoil at the tip of the inner panel is much more cambered than the root airfoil.

THanks

6 replies since 24/4/2014, 18:15   294 views